Job Detail - VP of Engineering
Who we are:
Elevate K-12 is a Series C funded, rapid growth stage start-up focused on solving the crisis-level teacher shortage in US K-12 schools changing the way classrooms work live, virtual instruction that gives students access to high quality, certified teachers who help them prepare for the world of the future! For our teacher community, we open up new work opportunities proprietary platform and curriculum, enabling them to deliver live remote instruction across multiple subjects in elementary, middle, and high schools across the US. Our goal is to enable high quality live teaching for every learner in the U.S., from kindergarten through their first jobs, so they can receive the education they need to identify and pursue their unique passions in life. We are the new way to the classroom!
We live the mission of Elevate K-12, and we’re getting better each day, if all of this sounds exciting to you – We want to hear from you!
On the heels of a Series C funding led by General Catalyst, Elevate K-12 is enjoying strong business momentum, growing revenues at a 100% y-y, with plans to double again next year. To continue this momentum, we are investing in building out a strong product and technology function to power the next generation of solutions for students, teachers, and school/districts. The Elevate Software Engineering team, reporting into Elevate’s Chief Product and Technology Officer, Piyush Lumba, will be responsible for delivering cutting edge educational software at enterprise class scale and with consumer-grade experiences to deliver on our company mission.
Fuelled by growth in our teacher community and school/district adoption, we’re rapidly improving and expanding our product portfolio e.g., developing more interactive, engaging, and personalized learning solutions for students, expanding the tools and services to serve our teacher community, developing new academic products for our schools/districts, expanding our solution coverage across more states and jurisdictions etc. To support this expansion, we are building a suite of products across all our educators and students to shape the future and transform the education industry. To architect the technology platform and build the suite of products we are looking for an India head/VP Engineering who will own the vision and execution of our technology roadmap. They will work with an existing team of talented software developers, QA and DevOps who work in a hybrid work environment based out of Mumbai and will grow the team with additional talent needed to deliver on Elevate’s product mission. We are flexible about the location of this leader and open to developing secondary hubs. If you are excited about the opportunity to build and lead a high-performing technology team and work with smart, mission-driven people, delivering cutting-edge education solutions, this is the role for you.
Problems you’ll get to solve include:
- Engineer virtual delivery solutions that enable Elevate live instructors to deliver the most personalized, interactive, and engaging instruction to K-12 students across schools in the United States today, and globally tomorrow, enabling them to learn effectively and prepare for the future.
- Build unique solutions to allow teachers to teach from anywhere, on their own terms, and to rediscover their love for teaching.
- Develop solutions that enable schools and districts to bring interactive live platforms in a seamless manner into their educational systems, giving them the ability to not only solve the teacher shortage crisis, but also offer unique learning opportunities for their students.
- Construct analytics and AI solutions to tailor content, curriculum, and teaching approaches based on large-scale education delivery models.
- Evaluate strategic options to deliver these solutions including partnerships and M&A opportunities from the technology perspective.
What You'll Do:
- Own and drive the technology vision across our suite of products across all audiences (students, teachers, schools/districts and internal operations), balancing short and long-term goals to faster time to market and long-term scale.
- Partner with functional leaders across product, sales, marketing, customer success and finance to define and support the long-term company vision.
- Build and coach a high-performing engineering team to deliver on our product roadmap through flawless execution.
- Bring a culture of customer obsession and tech excellence to the company. Become an ally to our customers, working with them to understand their use cases and pain points. Inculcate culture of technology excellence and best practices within the tech team to help build platform for scale and reuse.
- Evangelize the Elevate K-12 platform and services and the impact that AI and algorithms can have on educational outcomes.
- Partner with customer success and sales teams to collect customer pain points, understand market trends and work with product in prioritizing the roadmap, and engineering to drive execution.
- Manage bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate, and make trade-offs, balance the business needs versus technical constraints, and maximize business benefit while building great customer experiences.
- Lead by example. Roll up your sleeves to ensure projects stay on schedule and meet our high standards of quality.
Who you are:
- B.E/BTech/MS from a Tier 1 college (IITs / IIITs / RECs).
- 15+ years' experience in building and scaling cloud-based software products with experience of building a few products from scratch. Having experience of building solutions across multi-cloud is a major plus (Azure, AWS or GCP).
- Experience in building products over Microsoft Tech Stack – CSharp, ASP, .NET, SQL Server etc. highly desirable.
- Customer-obsessed with a proven ability to partner in developing innovative product solutions that are grounded in a deep understanding of customer needs.
- Strong team builder, with 5+ years proven success hiring, training, and retaining a world-class tech team of 50-100. A visionary tech leader and mentor for their team.
- Experience in running agile delivery processes across multiple engineering pods with a team size of 50+ people. Owned end-to-end product delivery with high quality, on-time results.
- Experienced in translating customer needs and ideas into tech architecture. Ability to make technology and platform trade-offs between faster time to market and long-term scale.
- Experienced in engaging and influencing both peers and senior executives.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills. Proven ability to use a data driven approach to back up assumptions and drive actions.
- Prior experience with education technology solutions and working in high growth startups a plus!
- Track record of having built successful workflow, enterprise analytics and ML based products a plus!
What we offer:
- Team Focused & High-Performance Culture: Problem Solvers, Passionate & Mission Driven
- Competitive Compensation
- 21 Annual Leaves, 7 Sick Leaves, 7 Bereavement Leaves, 26 Weeks Maternity Leave, 7 Days Paternity Leave and 13 Days Designated Public Holidays.
- Mediclaim benefits with family cover.
- Internet reimbursement (Remote and WFH employees)
Be Part Of Our Story:
Elevate K-12 is tasked with an important mission: change the way K-12 classrooms and teaching work. Our organization is a radically open-minded company that is scaling fast. We are a team focused on high performance, dynamism and embodying a collaborative culture at all levels. Our teammates can have open, honest discussions that drive us toward our mission. Elevate K-12 is in a stage of hyper growth that will continue to open up new challenges and opportunities for our team.
We welcome women and underrepresented groups to apply even if they don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. These groups may be more likely to apply only if they meet all of the qualifications on a job description. We hope this inspires any applicant that is interested in the role even if they don’t meet all of the requirements in the “Who you are” section.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity, gender expression, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request.