Job Detail - Senior Staff Accountant (Hybrid)
Elevate K-12 is on a mission to ensure every student receives a high-quality education, regardless of zip code. We are changing the way classrooms work by creating a brand new category of live, virtual classroom instruction to give students access to exceptional teachers through our two-sided network. Our certified teachers from across the country are securely streamed into tens of thousands of classrooms, providing instruction that would otherwise be unavailable in many districts across the U.S. Our goal is to enable high-quality, live teaching for every learner in the U.S., from kindergarten through their first jobs, so they can identify and pursue their unique passions in life. We are the new way to the classroom!
Elevate K-12 is a series-C funded (led by General Catalyst), high-growth, EdTech company enjoying strong business momentum. We are growing at 150%+ CAGR in a $50B TAM with plans to double again next year. We have the first-mover, and now the first-scaler, advantage and we are working to become an iconic EdTech brand in live teaching, uplifting the lives of millions of students and creating unique job opportunities for teachers in this new, innovative category of education.
We are seeking a highly skilled and detail-oriented Senior Staff Accountant to join our accounting department. As a Senior Staff Accountant, you will play a crucial role in performing month end close activities and managing various financial aspects of the company, including fixed assets, internally developed software, and content curriculum intangible assets. Additionally, you will be responsible for conducting research, preparing memos, and developing accounting procedures in accordance with US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
What you will do:
Month End Close Activities:
- Execute month end close processes, including preparing and reviewing journal entries, reconciling accounts, and ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather necessary financial data and resolve any discrepancies.
Fixed Assets Management:
- Oversee the fixed asset accounting function, including the recording, tracking, and reconciliation of fixed assets.
- Conduct periodic physical audits to verify the existence and condition of fixed assets.
- Manage prepaid expense account amortization schedules
Intangible Assets Management:
- Manage the accounting for internally developed software and content curriculum intangible assets, including capitalization, amortization, and impairment assessments.
- Work closely with technolgy and content teams to accurately identify, track, and record relevant costs associated with software development and content creation projects.
- Prepare accounting memos to document the accounting procedures for intangible assets in accordance with US GAAP
- Stay up to date with changes in US GAAP and other relevant accounting regulations, ensuring compliance with accounting standards and best practices.
- Develop and implement accounting procedures and controls to enhance financial accuracy and mitigate risks.
Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements, including balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements.
- Perform analytical reviews of financial data to identify trends, variances, and areas for improvement.
- Support the finance team in budgeting, forecasting, and financial planning activities.
- Provide support during various financial audits.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field. CPA designation is highly preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in accounting, preferably with a focus on month end close activities and intangible asset management.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and experience in researching and applying accounting principles to complex transactions.
- Proficiency in accounting software and ERP systems (e.g., QuickBooks, SAP, Oracle) and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a track record of developing and implementing accounting procedures.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, to interact with cross-functional teams and present financial information clearly.
- Ability to adapt in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
What we offer:
- An amazing team of “Elevaters” with a strong, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Competitive compensation
- Unlimited PTO (Paid Time Off) & 12 company paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Benefits – Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K and more
- Phone stipend
- Chicago office gym & roof top space
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity, gender expression, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request.